Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Are there any ferns that take sun

Posted by deshima Heat Zone 7 Richmond (My Page) on
Thu, Jul 19, 07 at 18:07

I live in Richmond Virginia, I have a very sunny front yard until about 1 PM then it is in total shade. Are there any ferns that can handle that much sun?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Are there any ferns that take sun

Try Thelypteris kunthii. This was featured some years ago in Southern Living as the "fern that won't burn". Mine also gets full morning sun until about 1pm and does great. Common names include Southern Shield Fern, but make you get it according to the scientific name to be sure.

o
Here's a link

Here's a link to a copy of the article.

Here is a link that might be useful: Southern Living article

o

• Posted by deshima Heat Zone 7 Richmond (My Page) on
    Fri, Jul 20, 07 at 16:51

Thanks for the link and and the Thelypteris kunthii is really all I need to know. I have a Red Maiden Hair fern and it is in very bright shade so I am wondering about that one.I also have one that came from my grandfathers farm taken from back on the swamp, it has sent out spores and some are growing in afternoon sun like from 1 to 5. It is very lacy w a very light green color. Garndpaws land was in Essex Virginia if you look on a topo it is in Longest Virginia, he was that Longest. If I have time I will post a picture of it because it is in the sunniest hottest part of the day doing fine.

o

I have not heard of Red Maiden Hair fern, so I would love to see a picture. I have Northern Maiden Hair growing in a similar area (lots of morning sun) and it has gotten huge!

How nice to have something from your grandfather's farm. That really makes it special.

o

Sensitive fern (Onoclea sensibilis) really seems tolerant of both sun and dryness. I had some growing wild on the western side of my old house. It spreads over the ground in colonies (sure it's listed on someones list of "weeds") but I respected the fact that an attractive fern could tolerate/thrieve being on in the location that roasted in the late afternoon. Made sure I took a nice clump of it for my new home when I moved! PS. Apparently, it's called sensitive fern because the fronds turn yellow as soon as evening temps are in the 30's (even without frost).

o

deshima, I have a friend who has property that has an Electrical Power line path that is quite wide for the large towers that are placed on it,and they are right out in the open sunlight. All around them are Bracken ferns , I know , a lot of people dont like them, as they are reported to contain carcinogens ,so they advise you not to eat the fiddleheads. I have a few but I never plan on eating any of my ferns fiddleheads. They may be aggressive so you may end up with quite a few, but that should take quite awhile

o

Ostrich ferns can take quite a bit of sun IF they get enough water. They do quite well in my garden in rather ordinary soil; the main drawback is that they do look a bit ratty by the end of the summer, especially if they have gotten lots of sun and/or insufficient water (but they do produce persistent fertile fronds that add winter interest, unlike most other ferns). The other drawback is that if they are happy, they will roam and reproduce quite a bit. BTW sun until 1 pm is perfect for many ferns and many other plants as well--hostas would also do well in that situation.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here