Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
How to grow moss in Florida

Posted by rqu1ntana Fl (My Page) on
Mon, Jul 29, 13 at 18:41

Hello everyone, I bought a small patch of moss from amazon 2 months ago and i was very satisfied when it arrived. I tried to look for the name but it only says living moss, sorry i cant be more specific. The problem is that i want it to expand but have not been so successful. It has stayed the same size ever since it arrived. I placed it on my north wall, under a shady place. I just want it to propagate so i can start moving chunks to some bonsai pots. I have thought about wrapping the tray in shrinkwrap to maintain the humidity high. I have also thought to move it inside the house because its too hot outside but i dont live alone so the only place i can leave it would be in the laundry room. But there are no windows in there, its always dark....if i buy a small portable greenhouse with its lights will it be able to grow its spores and propagate?? even tho there is no natural light coming into the room?? hopefully someone can help because i really like it, its really soft and green lol. Also any tips on how to grow "Kyoto Moss"....

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: How to grow moss in Florida

Hi
Hope you get some good answers !!lol i also live in florida
and have had similar results with moss.. I mostly get them to either die or not grow lol Mostly what I use for underplanting is various types of selaginellas . S. martinsii
and S. uncinta almost become weedy These are tropical types but can handle a bit of cold .
You REALLY need an I D on what you have . There are a gazillion types!!! gary

o

;D Hi there. Also in Florida. Luckily, I'm blessed to live by a river with lots and lots ... And lots of moss. When I need a fresh supply I can go pick some.
However, I do have my prized moss on display. I think most moss is slow growing. I found an old aquarium and turned it into a terrarium. It sits in a SE window and has been living and growing fine for almost a year. The resurrection ferns in there have never dried up. If you can't keep your moss in natural conditions (FL is the shizzle for growing moss naturally) you should consider simulating ideal conditions ... Like a terrarium. It's a inexpensive and fun project for moss enthusiast. Good luck with your moss.
... I used to know the name of all my mosses. Then one day decided it didn't matter, they all take the same care. Cleared up some space in my brain. Lol. (;

o

Hi
have moss growing on almost everythinglol Roof ,rain gutters trees ,palms pots , outdoor carpeting ,expanding foam driftwood . Now getting it to grow on purpose another story.lol Love the type that is deep green and velvet textured but as soon as i admire it croaks lol. Have never had any luck with terrariums except for shagnum and tropical dicranum . Wild types tend to decline. or get over run. I'm carefully nursing a patch of Lichen on an old palm
and it's beginningto standup !!
still aiming for that Kyoto gardens look!!! gary

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here