Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Potting mix for ferns?

Posted by eahamel 9a (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 18, 12 at 19:36

There's a lot of talk on some of the other forums about Al's Gritty Mix. I make my own version of that for some things. Is this okay for ferns, with a potting soil added? Do they need straight potting mix? I have a variety of ferns that need potting - several nephropolis, autumn fern, staghorn, at least.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Potting mix for ferns?

Adding potting soil to the gritty mix would defeat the purpose of the gritty mix (porosity and durability). If you're looking for a compromise between the gritty mix and a typical potting soil, you should look at something like the 5-1-1 mix. It would be great for ferns since they generally prefer more moisture than other plants. Here's an excellent thread documenting the growth and repotting of a fern in 5-1-1.

Giant Chainfern potted in 5-1-1 (pics)

-Chris

o

Chris, thanks for the link. It's pretty much what I've been mixing. I just want a mix that won't pack down, and this one won't. I'm experimenting with a gritty mix to see what will do well in it, but if other people have already done it with plants that I'm thinking about, I'll learn from their experience, rather than risk a crash!

o

Thanks for linking, Chris!

Eahamel, a bark-based mix with perlite and peat makes for a happy fern, in my experience.
The bark and perlite should give you 2 - 3 years before the mix begins to degrade...but by that time,
the fern will most likely need re-potting anyway.

Josh

o

Josh, I went to a local nursery that specializes in tropicals. The owner has a collection of ferns of his own, and told me he uses a non-organic mix similar to what I'm using, and adds about 50% Sunshine Mix, which has a lot of peat in it. I repotted a couple that I'd just put into hanging baskets (wire with coir), and added more of the soil, so they won't dry out so fast. I hate watering every day.

Now I get to work on repotting a really big Boston fern that's in a 10" plastic basket.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here