Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
alexis717_df

I know nothing about Ferns - can you help?

alexis717_df
15 years ago

This is my first time on this forum and I'm hoping you can help. I know absolutely nothing about ferns. I'm looking to add some to my gardens on the north side of my house. Either side of my porch, under some windows. Currently have Hosta, and Astilbe there now with Lamium as ground cover. All grow very well, lots of moisture, soil is slightly acidic. One side gets morning sun for 3-4 hours and the other side gets late pm sun for about 2-3 hours the balance of the day is dappled. I've looked and looked but there are just too many beautiful ferns out there for a novice to make an informed decision. I *think* I would like two different types. One taller, maybe up to 4', more vase shaped in appearance and one more medium in height, draping.

Also, is there anything special I need to know about growing ferns. The only ferns I've ever tried to grow are those boxstore hang in the house type. I ALWAYS kill them.

Any advise, suggestions or help in any way is greatly appreciated. Thank you, Alexis

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Peabody Landscape Group
Average rating: 3.5 out of 5 stars8 Reviews
Franklin County's Reliable Landscape Design & Contracting