Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
dvk421

Maiden Hair Ferns;;;;Help!

dvk421
17 years ago

I am pretty good with plants, but all I have to do is look at a maiden hair, and her demise slowly begins. I'e heard they don't like alot of water even though they are ferns; and I've heard the opposite. I got another one to give it one more shot, and it now has little black or brown spots underneath most of the leaves. Does anyone know what this is and what I do for it? Also, any tips on growing this fern would be greatly appreciated. I live in Houston.

Comments (14)

• bcubed
    17 years ago

Don't worry about those little black or brown spots underneath the leaves--they are sori, which hold the sporangia, which is the "seed" of a fern. I raise maidenhair and other ferns as a hobby; have about 30 different plants. They live outside from late apring to the first frost, and I hit them all with the sprinkler hose about every three days during this time. In the months that they live inside, I water them (with city water) every three days. I find that, with the exception of one fern that they
    all love water!
    I fill the trays underneath each pot with water, too. The one thing that I am picky about is a clean flower pot. Pots are so cheap, you can buy a new one for a dollar or so. They need to be in clay pots, so the roots can breathe. Salts from fertilizer, city water, etc. build up on the pot; when this happens, toss the pot (or use the shards) and get a new one, with new soil, and very little liquid fertilizer.

• karinl
    17 years ago

Your problem may be that you live in Houston... is it maybe just too hot? Are you trying to grow it indoors or outdoors?

I sometimes wonder where the idea comes from that ferns like it moist, because I grow mine all pretty dry (outdoors), and forest floors (where our ferns grow locally) are generally pretty dry places.

I'm make sure the fern has good drainage, good air circulation, and not overwater it.

• dvk421
    Original Author
    17 years ago

How funny! Thanks for the 2 of you that wrote messages. Like I stated in my original post, some say they like water,others don't. Which is exactly what the 2 messages conveyed again. Yes Houston is WAY too hot, but what's a gal to do? Gotta work ya know. I will continue babying this one and hopefully have more luck. Thanks to you both. If anyone else wants to weigh in, please do!
    Dee

• garyfla_gw
    17 years ago

Hi
    I have the same problem lol Get fantastic growth for a while but eventually begin to decline. Seems odd as several specie of Maidenhairs are native to Florida though I've never seen them. When i was in Costa Rica i actually saw some growing on the edges of waterfalls being constantly sprayed !! have no idea which species as many were over six feet tall and growing epiphyticly. This was in the central valley which has very heavy rainfall and is usually overcast.
    I grow many types of ferns with ease but the MH give me fits lol. Bummer!!! lo
    gary

• organicmom
    17 years ago

These are too funny to read. I bought 4 maidenhairs this summer before researching them. I got two fritz luthi and two gracillium (or they were something close to that) I was scared to death I was going to kill them after reading about them. I put them in plastic hanging baskets against the suggestions I had read. I did make up the soiless mix on this website and I pretty much water them everyday until the water starts to run through. I have never misted them b/c I had read that doesn't work for them. I haven't a clue but they seem to be doing ok, they have grown all summer but I will probably kill them over the winter... HAHA In fact that is why I came here to post about overwintering them. I will be posting that soon...

• sweeper
    17 years ago

We moved a couple years ago and brought a lot of plants with us. I had to just put them in the existing gardens here. My Maiden Hair isn't doing too well, That's because the soil is hard,dry and a high clay content. She's goning to be moved this fall to a woodlands plot I've now cleaned up.

So check your soil also

• houstonpat
    17 years ago

Howdy, dvk421.
    There are a wide variety of maidenhair ferns available many of which do quite well in the Houston area. I've had a clump in my backyard for several years without any problems. Sometimes they grow from spores on the ground in my shade house. I reccomend you consider joining the Texas Gulf Coast Fern Society based in Houston. Check their website at http://www.tgcfernsoc.org/

• organicmom
    17 years ago

I am in zone 7 so I do not know if the maidenhairs would be hardy in my area. Where I bought them from they just came with a label to identify type.

• dvk421
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Well, as I stated earlier, all I have to do is look at the poor thing, and down she goes. It's almost dead. I don't know whether I have the heart to try another one. So many conflicting opinions. Water alot, don't water, I'm so confused. Maybe I'll just stick to Jade plants. Thanks everyone for posting.Dee

• dvk421
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hello all and again thanks for all the postings. As of Sept. I thought I was goin to have to plan yet another maiden hair funeral. But low and behold, I just decided to give it REGULAR waterings even thought that didn't work in the past. I am so happy and mainly proud to announce my baby is THRIVING!!! I won't even let my husband touch the pot it's in. I will keep y'all posted. So far, water has been the secret. I was always told that would be it's downfall. Silly me for listening to anyone other than you guys!!! Thanks!

• elvis
    17 years ago

Gosh, I never heard of growing them in pots...I dug up a few from my woods and planted them under my shady apple tree, and they do just fine--with winters that can hit 30 below! They get watered along with everything else out of our lake when they need it, i.e., when they start to get dry. They are in rich organic soil with good drainage. Just my 2 cents :)

• jcsgreenthumb
    17 years ago

Hi,

Maindenhairs grow wild where I live (mountains of NC), and from my observations they seem to like the vertical sides rocky outcroppings that get lots of shade, cool humidity and lots of rain.

The only place I have found them growing in my yard is underneath rocks along my "french" drain. As this was put in by the previous owner only 4 years ago, they must have come of their own accord, so they must be happy. They do not receive any direct sun there but more like bright light. We get A LOT of rain here, but where they are is well drained but probably stays on the damp side.

My guess is that they prefer a well draining soil, frequent waterings and shade such as under a tall tree canopy. I believe the ones here are Northern Maidenhairs.

Hope this helps some!

Jeanne

Here is a link that might be useful: Maidenhair ferns

• malichi
    17 years ago

I just got a maiden hair fern and the evil lady at the plant store bruised it trying to put it in a bag. I live in canada so the bag was definately necessary but those leaves that were touched have turned black. snif. I now have it in my bathroom with an incandescent growing bulb about a foot away. Is this too much light? The edges of the leaves seem to be turning a paler green and maybe slightly brown, though it could be paranoia on my part. Would that be caused by too much light or too little water? I have been watering mine very infrequently, though i might start watering more on hearing the news from houston. thanks a bunch guys.
    Arielle

• bobsfield
    17 years ago

Been awhile since orig. message posted but...Placement (shade vs sun) and soil type are probably the most important factors for successful growing in Houston area. Once established they require little maintenance.

Houstonian here who in April 06 scavenged couple of feet of grandmother's huge stand of maidenhair in Conroe. Put in pots temporarily until ready to transplant. Some pots died back for several months but have recovered and are filling out nicely.

Grandma's bed doesn't get much sun and has rich layer of soil. She doesn't do anything to the bed (this includes watering, fertilizing) and maidenhair continue to flourish. I'm sure the fact that this stand of ferns has been established for yrs greatly contributes to their health and low requirements for extra care.

Sponsored
EK Interior Design
Average rating: 5 out of 5 stars5 Reviews
TIMELESS INTERIOR DESIGN FOR ENDLESS MEMORIES