Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
liverwort or Marchantia polymorpha

Posted by waretrop 6 (waretrop@earthlink.net) on
Sun, Jul 31, 05 at 21:30

I am looking for some Marchantia polymorpha. I would like to add it to my terrarium.

I know there are many, moss smart, people here. Does anyone know where I can get it? Thanks, Barb

fatplants@earthlink.net or Yahoo IM waretrop

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: liverwort or Marchantia polymorpha

Barbara,
I would advise you to think three times before putting marchantia in your terrarium.If it is not happy, it turns brown and dies. If it's happy, it doubles the surface it covers (and it covers literally every plant material -dead or alive- and soil))every 3 months.
Meaning: Your terrarium will be overgrown by the stuff in a short period of time.
I'm in the process of getting rid of it from my moss garden. First year: small spot, 1 square foot. "Oh, that's nice, liverwort..."
Next year: "Hey, that stuff grows fast... must contain it somehow."
This year, about 30% of my garden is covered. I almost feel that I must keep walking when in the garden, or I'll be overgrown too... Already discovered a small spot behind my left ear... :)
Good luck, and have fun with the terrarium
Kind regards,
Leonardus

o

Thanks Leonardus, I am reconcidering it at the moment. I will start it in a small contained terrarium at first if I do it at all, just to see how it does. Besides, I have enough plants growing on me already.If the Marchantia covered over them it would be a shame. ;~) Barb

fatplants@earthlink.net

Here is a link that might be useful: http://community.webshots.com/photo/274130630/274133910icCLnm

o

Barbara,
Well, that's an impressive one. Washing with Sunlight soap, I think...? :)
Looks great!
Kind rgards,
Leo

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here