Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Staghorn fern ripped off a tree

Posted by kateanne 11 (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 31, 13 at 21:48

The groundskeeper for my work just brought me a present: a staghorn fern! He just ripped it off the tree, apparently. I have been looking up how to mount it. I have it in a gallon baggie now. I don't know what variety it is, but the base is brown, and it has no roots. Is it viable? almost all the bases of the ferns on our trees are brown. But all the tutorials on mounting it either have them come out of pots with roots or have a green base with a 'collar' around the fronds. Also, did the unceremonious ripping off the tree damage it?
It looks healthy, except for a couple brown tips and the brown base, but not like the pictures google turns up.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Staghorn fern ripped off a tree

the base is about 8 inches across with fronds up to 18 inches or so

o

Looks like Platycerium bifurcatum, they're quite easy to grow if you keep up the humidity. Whether there's any damage to the plant just depends on how gently (or otherwise) it was "ripped off". Mostly these plants will survive given a bit of TLC.

Nest leaves grow out green but normally turn brown and are in turn eventually grown over by new nest leaves.

Are you going to mount it in a tree, or on a board?

o

Well, I don't have a tree, so a board. I have it sitting 'tree-side' down on some damp coco chips, while I figure out what to do with it. The store was out of spaghnum moss when I stopped last night.... ahhh hawaii. :P I will have to hunt around this weekend and mount it then. I also have to figure out if my home or lanai is humid enough, my office is in a rather rainy valley, but I live in a much sunnier and windier area.

o

You could do it without the sphagnum. Until it establishes itself just keep it out of the sun and wind. I don't use sphagnum and it would be a lot hotter with lower humidity for most of the year. So for me even though they struggle along a bit they're still okay but should do a lot better for you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here