Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
maryl_gw

Clumping fern

I have a space for a tallish (3-4 feet) upright "specimen" fern that clumps. It's a small bed and I don't want anything even remotely invasive. Our PH runs around 6.8-7.0 and I know that lots of ferns like acidic soil, so this too might play a factor. And so that I further insure a lack of suggestions, this fern will also get part sun. I'm into roses and people are constantly looking for roses that will grow in the shade, now I'm going to be just as big a pain the other way. I really can't help it. The tree grew and now the rose won't. Sooo PLease help me if you can..........

Comments (6)

• tjsangel
    17 years ago

The two that come to mind are Lady fern and Japanese painted fern. Both are compact and can take a little sun. If you part sun is afternoon exposure though be careful, they could get fried. One thing about the rose, yes I know this is the fern forum : ) It sometimes takes a few years for a rose to get going. I have a shrub rose in part sun and it flowers very well. Keep it well watered, fertilize twice a year. Maybe next year if you dont notice any change try something else in that space.

Jen

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thank you Jen I appreciate you trying to help me. I grow the Japanese painted fern in another bed and it does very well. I wanted something taller (3-4 feet). The rose that is failing has been there quite awhile. It's gradually lost vigor as the tree has grown. Even though it's in a raised bed, I have a feeling that the shade from the now large tree and root competition have doomed it. The part sun btw is mostly morning sun, so at least that's hopeful.

• autumnmoon
    17 years ago

Christmas fern will take some sun, will get taller than japanese painted fern AND is evergreen to boot!
    Paula

• nohandle
    17 years ago

What about a Royal Fern?
    It can take some sun and forms a clump, but is not invasive.
    Even though it is normally found near water there are some reports that say it can handle dryer conditions (might not get as big maybe?).
    Can get 6' tall under the right conditions, probably half that size in average soil.

• karinl
    17 years ago

I would also say Royal Fern, aka Osmunda regalis, if you can go that tall. I grow it under very dry conditions and it does well. If not, I'd recommend investigating the Dryopteris family. I've grown a lot of these in our north-facing yard, where they get summer sun till about 3 pm, and have lots of root competition. The more upright ones I have include Dryopteris crassirhizoma, which is perhaps the one that most closely meets your requirements. There are others, like D. celsa, that might have a slightly creeping rhizome, and D. tokyoensis, which won't grow quite tall enough. There is also Dryopteris wallichiana and D. cycadina/atrata, which are however a little more arching/spreading although they can achieve the frond length you want.

These are mostly specialty ferns, though, so you won't find them unless you have a very good local nursery or go mail order. Out of the common nursery stock, I'd go with the Osmunda or perhaps Dryopteris x complexa, also known as the Robust Male Fern. Umm, yeah, it's pretty upright.

• Maryl (Okla. Zone 7a)
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Wow, thank you all so very much for your suggestions. I bought a book on ferns so I will look them up. I like ferns, but outside of the Japanese Painted Fern and a few Boston ferns in baskets (overwintered indoors of course) I've not had much luck over the years(killed: Korean Rock fern, Holly Fern, Variegated green/yellow fern), but I still keep on trying. I appreciate it. The sun by the way will be from the east.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!