Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tomasincas

What kind of fern is this

tomasincas
15 years ago

Walking around my little woodlands,of which I have several types of ferns.Most of them have some sort of leaflets with toothy edges or creases of some sort,about a month or so ago I noticed a really generic flat looking fern ,a couple of its leaflets remind me of the Xmas ferns that i have but they grow more upright and are darker green and thicker in body.here is a picture of what I have,I do have a couple more pictures if anyone wants to see..Tom

{{gwi:610582}}

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Looks like a young Royal fern, Osmunda regalis.

• tomasincas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

esh ga, thanks ,ran google pictures of Royal fern ,and many of the photos looked similar only they may be a bit more mature. So I am thinking as you said,maybee its a young fern.Only thing that bothers me is that all the articles on royal ferns say they are near streams ,bogs ,lakes,ponds and etc.Most of my ferns are on a fairly dry sloping hillside.If it starts to die off ,I may dig it up and put it at the bottom of my yard where all the rain water goes and it appears to be a bit more moist, thats where my sensitive ferns seem to feel happy and reproduce.Still have a couple of more sites to check out on various ferns..Thanks

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

If you already have sensitive ferns, this could also be a baby sensitive fern. They do look very similar when they are young. Those chubby babies can be hard to figure out!

• tomasincas
    Original Author
    15 years ago

esh ga, No I think maybee your first guess is closer,all my sensitive ferns grow vertically upright,these are growing up slightly then laying flat and over,I dont think any of mine crossed with one another ..but you never know..they would probably be in-fertile, I am attaching another picture( still not good, plus darn bugs are starting to eat the leaves )thanks..... Tom
    {{gwi:610584}}

• Iris GW
    15 years ago

Oh yes, that picture looks like royal fern.

Sponsored