Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
nohandle

WTF?...something stole my ostrich fern

nohandle
17 years ago

Seriously...I'm not making this up, but a couple of days ago we planted a small (~1' tall) ostrich fern. I mulched it with compost yesterday evening and today when I looked, IT WAS GONE!

I don't mean just the fronds were missing, I mean the entire root ball or whatever you want to call the black knobby thing that sticks out of the ground. And the kicker is, there was no hole...no evidence at all that there was a fern there the day before.

I know it wasn't a person who did it. I live in a nice, quiet neighbourhood and besides, you can't even see the fern unless you walk into my backyard and around the corner. And like I said, we just planted it and nobody knew about it, so it's not like someone was playing a joke even.

So, I'm thinking a four-legged thief, but again, no evidence at all. And what would eat or take a fern?

An insect pest seems unlikely too though since it wasn't just the fronds that were gone, but all the old, straw-like, dead stuff at the bottom too (the black knob like I said). A lot to handle in one night. And again, no evidence.

Anyways, I'm totally baffled....more than I can say.

Any ideas???

Comments (4)