Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
WTF?...something stole my ostrich fern

Posted by nohandle 6a swON (My Page) on
Sun, Jul 23, 06 at 22:42

Seriously...I'm not making this up, but a couple of days ago we planted a small (~1' tall) ostrich fern. I mulched it with compost yesterday evening and today when I looked, IT WAS GONE!
I don't mean just the fronds were missing, I mean the entire root ball or whatever you want to call the black knobby thing that sticks out of the ground. And the kicker is, there was no hole...no evidence at all that there was a fern there the day before.
I know it wasn't a person who did it. I live in a nice, quiet neighbourhood and besides, you can't even see the fern unless you walk into my backyard and around the corner. And like I said, we just planted it and nobody knew about it, so it's not like someone was playing a joke even.
So, I'm thinking a four-legged thief, but again, no evidence at all. And what would eat or take a fern?
An insect pest seems unlikely too though since it wasn't just the fronds that were gone, but all the old, straw-like, dead stuff at the bottom too (the black knob like I said). A lot to handle in one night. And again, no evidence.
Anyways, I'm totally baffled....more than I can say.

Any ideas???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: WTF?...something stole my ostrich fern

Sounds like a very tasty meal for a pocket gopher. He probably pulled the whole thing right down his hole then pushed up the dirt to seal it. Try digging a bigger hole and line it with small chicken wire so the gopher can't get to the new fern. He can smell it but he can't touch.

o

Thanks for trying, but it's definitely not a gopher...I don't even think we have them around here. I could be wrong about that, but I can guarantee they aren't a common pest, especially not in residential areas. We do have quite a squirrel infestation though.
Would a squirrel eat an ostrich fern?

o

What about a skunk?

Saw one in my yard tonight for the first time.

o

Voles will often leave a hole where the plant was that they dined on but I've seen plants vanish with no trace. Dig around a little where the fern was and see if there are tunnels nearby. If so, then blame the voles. If not, I'm as puzzled as you.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here