Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
can I divide autumn fern? japanese painted fern?

Posted by esthermgr (My Page) on
Wed, Jul 11, 07 at 23:12

I'm in love with my autumn ferns and my Japanese painted ferns, but I'm also gardening on a budget. Can I divide both or either of these? If not, anybody know the best way to propagate them from cuttings without going through the process of harvesting and raising spores?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: can I divide autumn fern? japanese painted fern?

The JPF is easily divided, since it spreads by rhizones, you can remove a section of the rhizome (with a frond or growth bud) using a sharp knife or shovel. The Autumn Fern is a little more difficult, since it has a woody crown. Slice off a portion, with a frond(s) and some healthy roots with a knife or shovel. Pot the divisions in a moisture retentive potting mix and keep moist, in total shade, until they appear to be growing normally.
The big box stores near me stock both of these during the growing season and have seen small pots there for $3-4. There is an Autumn Fern cultivar 'Brilliance',now available,
that retains the bronze color well into the late spring-early summer. Have seen those at the box stores, also.
Rb

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here