Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Repotting Rabbit's Foot Fern

Posted by Flopp2 7b (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 16, 05 at 0:27

I inherited my mother's rabbit's foot fern. She has it in an open wire basket where it's frods have grown and intertwined to make the outside of the basket. She had a sun room where she could keep it in the winter, and I do not have such an area. The problem is with watering, the water runs through quickly and I don't have a place where that is acceptable. If anyone can help me in how to repot this, what type of pot, and what do I do about all of the frods? Do I cut them off--I hate to do that, they are so beautiful. Is there a root ball somewhere in that basket? When is a good time to repot and what type soil? Any help appreciated.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Repotting Rabbit's Foot Fern

Flopp,
You do not need to repot the fern. Rather, with a serrated knife, cut out a circular hole in the middle of the plant removing a good chunk of the fern and soil. Now, fill the hole with good potting soil. This is the standard method for repotting Rabbit's foot and Boston ferns. You will probably have to do this twice a year, spring and fall but it can be done on an as needed basis. Is there any inside place that you could hang the fern and place another potted plant underneath it to catch the drips?

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here