Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
tropicbreezent

A few crosiers

tropicbreezent
11 years ago

Out in the garden today with the camera I was drawn to some of the ferns forming new crosiers/fronds. I really like the geometrics in them.

The first is a large and very tough herringbone-type which I've never found the name of.

Comments (13)

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A Drynaria species, suspect it might be D. quercifolia.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Angiopteris evecta

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Another of the herringbone types that I don't have an ID for.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

A tree fern, Cyathea cooperi.

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

No ID for this one, but I'm sure it's a Polypodium.

• Michaela
    11 years ago

Wonderful pictures, 'Tropic'! Keep them coming.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Fantastic!! Worlds most graceful plant. In a weak moment I bought an Angeopteris at a local show then read how BIG it gets lol When am going to get old enough to READ before a purchase?? Hopefully it will be slow growing but it's sure loving our hot steamy weather
    love looking at your pix thanks for sharing!!
    gary

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thanks for the comments. Was hoping someone could post more to see some of the variety out there.

Gary, I have a small Angiopteris in the garden (the one in the photo above). But the other year I was doing some walking in the Mossman River Gorge and came across some fronds that were probably about 5 metres long. Couldn't get a decent photo because it was in a gully full of tangled 'jungle'. Don't know how many decades/centuries/millenia of growth it's had but it was BIG! If I can dig out the photo I'll post it. They love humid air and plenty of water.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    There are some pix on the web of angiopteris growing in Bot gardens in the US measuring 30 feet accross . Obviously they didn't require centuries lol Only one i've seen in person was at Fairchild palm gdns in Miami growing in the rare plant house . It was around 8 feet or so.
    Oh well I'm sure a cold winter will return and take care of that problem lol large plants are almost impossible to protect besides my entire grow area is only 40 feet wide!!! I do have a GH but only 12x25
    would love to see pix of the RF in your area. Only ones I've seen are in Mexico and into Panama. So beutiful in spite of the spiders, snakes, etc etc lol gary

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gary, I've got lots of photos of rainforests here (and in Papua New Guinea, did some trekking there a couple of years ago). But this site doesn't seem to cater for travelogue (or travo-plantalogue?) type postings. But I love rainforests, including all the spiders, snakes and especially all the etceteras, LOL.

Here's another crosier coming up from a NOID Polypodium I've got in a hanging pot. When you look right into the crosier it looks like a foetus. Not actually a human foetus, but still a foetus of some sort.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Would love to see the pix!! N. Guinea has always been on my dream list!! lol. Must be difficult to travel there?? First it's big and what an awesome variety of terraine.
    I LOVE Costa Rica because you can visit both oceans visit six climate zones in one day and still have time for a Martini before bed.
    Afraid I've never been much of a Photogarapher my pix usually end up with people rather than scenery lol
    A friend visited Palau and spent all his time underwater and since he wouldn't know a palm from a sunflower the land pix leave a LOT to be desired gary

• tropicbreezent
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Gary, you just can't trust anyone these days. If you want the job done properly you have to go do it yourself. When you going to Palau?

Ever since I was a little kid New Guinea was a dream place of mine. It was originally divided by the colonialists into 3 parts, Dutch, German and Australian (British). After the 1st World War the League of Nations gave the German part to Australia. In 1975 the Australian government gave them independence, but we've always had strong ties between us. In my younger days I was planning on getting a job there, but life got in the way. So I only got there a few years ago, although I had a number of friends who did work there.

Travel isn't easy there, but it's absolutely mind blowing. I think it's a pity they went independent and didn't stay fully with us. Probably most of the locals would have been all for it. When I was there the sentiments were quite strong. A number of them told me they still considered Australia as the 'Mother Country'.

But the 'political strongmen, being politicians, wanted to run the show completely by themselves. And our government didn't want to be left with the social problems of what was still mainly a tribal society. So, as they say, the rest is history. Just wish I could travel there more often.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    My main interest has always been the flora /fauna of N. Guinea, Particularly the birds and insects . there must be thousands of plants that are still unknown to science.??
    i have several of the "bird wing" butterflies hanging on my walls along with some early botanical prints from that area. can't help but wonder what else is there?? lol
    As to the political/sociology Interesting how they managed to stay out of the mainstream of "civilization" yet were in the heart of desirable goods for centuries.??
    I tend to agree that 'colonialism" was a bad idea from the start but impossible to imagine the world without it??
    Will be interesting to see how they cope with the 21 st century since nobody is going to stay out of that!! lol
    They certainly are "unique" in every meaning of the word??
    As for me I'm getting old and sickly
    .Think my travel days are behind me But sure like looking at the pix!! lol gary

Sponsored