Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Ferns in Southern California

Posted by dimitrig SoCal z10 (My Page) on
Fri, Aug 17, 07 at 2:24

I have a large sycamore tree which drops a lot of leaves and creates a lot of shade. Underneath it I have sweet woodruff (survives, but not not thrive), cyclamen (does well), camellias and azaleas (do well), and a gardenia (surprisingly well). I would like to grow some ferns. Does anyone have any recommendations for ferns that don't grow too large (say 2 feet high)? Is there a local source where I can find a large selection? Most of the nurseries I go to have a rather limited selection of (to me) boring ferns. I would love to go somewhere where ferns are a specialty. Any recommendations?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Ferns in Southern California

Sorry to follow up my own post, but I remember another requirement. The ferns have to be green year-round. I do not wish to grow varieties that die back in the winter.

o

Where are you located in So. Cal.?

o

I am in the foothills of Pasadena/Altadena.

o

Without listing the bijillion ferns you can grow..just to what i think is the best of what your looking for (non drought tolerant fern).' Mouri Princess'..It's just the best looking fern in the category.

o

Where would I obtain 'Mouri Princess' or even a photo of it?
I searched on Google to no avail. Thanks!

o

Perhaps it is Asplenium bulbiferum x oblongifolium 'Maori Princess'. That's the only I can find that is sort of like that name.

Many things will be green year round for you in Southern California. I have always liked East Indian Holly fern, Arachniodes aristata var 'Variegata' (also called Arachniodes simplicior variegata ). Pictures don't seem to do it justice.

Here is a link that might be useful: East Indian Holly Fern

o

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

Photobucket - Video and Image Hosting

I could have sworn i posted this yesterday-so again,Here are some not so great photos of the fern.Even in mid winter it has that tropical look-fresh glossy growth.I bought mine at Home Depot-but havent seen them since. They should be easy to find online though.
Much hardier and more pest resistant than the Mother fern. Other than plenty of water, it's not fussy.

o

• Posted by stanofh 10-say it loud I'm a (My Page) on
    Tue, Aug 21, 07 at 11:26

I just want to add that they are a also a darker green than the camera picks up.You won't find a more attractive(and easy-don't overlook that!) two foot(maybe going over 3 eventually?) fern for your yard-and i have kept dozens and dozens of fern species,including some very rare tropicals.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here