Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Moss vs Blue Star Creeper

Posted by lil_squaw 6 (My Page) on
Tue, Aug 29, 06 at 6:51

Hi Everyone, I am new to the forum and have a question about moss. I have been gardening forever it seems, and NEVER throw away plants. If they dont do well somewhere, I move it. But I have a dilemma. I have a flagstone walkway and have painstakingly planted a walkable groundcover in the cracks "Blue Star Creeper". My problem is the moss that has taken a home in the cracks as well. It is lifting the groundcover and I fear it will not let the roots of it survive. I cant find anything to kill, "yes, I want to kill a plant!! sigh!!" the moss and leave my plant safe. Any ideas?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Moss vs Blue Star Creeper

lil squaw;

Try miracle gro. It has zinc in it. You will be fertilizing the "Blue Star Creeper" and discouraging the moss. I am wondering why the moss is taking over. Is there enough light for the "Blue Star". Your walkable groundcover should easily out compete the moss unless the groundcover has issues with it's location.

Again fert the groundcover. You can also purchase moss killers that contain zinc or copper salts that will kill it but unless your groundcover takes off the moss will just come back.

A home remedy is to find something galvanized and pour water over it while lightly scrubbing the zinc surface. Catch the water in a receptacle and pour this water over the moss. The zinc from the galvanizing process will kill the moss. When I use live moss in wire hanging baskets I spray paint the wires black to prevent the zinc from killing the moss.

Rick

o
RE: Moss vs Blue Star Creeper

Thank you so much Rick.. I am on a mission now. The creeper is doing fine, and is thriving, but all the trailers and new growth is being lifted by the moss. I will try the zinc... thanks so much. Pamela

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here