Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
fern scale or spores

Posted by lowlife uk (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 29, 07 at 8:27

hi, i just wanted a little reassurance about the brown spores (if that's what they are) on my many ferns.

how easy is it to differentiate between scale and spores as they look similar to the scale i used to get on my tricolour plant.

the dryopteris are covered in them (on the back of the fronds), the cyrtomium fortunei has some leaves covered and some with a couple scattered here and there. the athyriums seem to have oblong shaped ones (especially on the okanum), but they are very regimented in a positional sense, so hope they are spores. can anyone confirm?

i'd quite like to try and germinate some if they are, any tips? thanks

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: fern scale or spores

Here's a link to British Ferns and you can select the physical features or attributes you want to explore, such as spore location on the pinnae.

Here's one from OZ, for growing Ferns from spores:
http://www.home.aone.net.au/~byzantium/ferns/growing.html
Sorry, you will have to cut and paste this into your browser window. GW would not accept an intext link.
Good luck!
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: British Ferns

o
RE: fern scale or spores-growing

This is a clickable link to the above mentioned website.
Cheers!
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Growing Ferns from spores

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here