Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Which ferns don't take over a garden space?

Posted by Bunnycat z5 NY (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 24, 05 at 11:12

My experience with ferns is very limited. I only have Japanese Painted Ferns, which expand slowly in my garden. I rarely find one popping up uninvited in a different area.
When I was a child my mother's ferns were always popping up under the asphault in the driveway. She put salt on them. My neighbor had the same problem. I have a small garden at our summer cabin, and one fern has popped up and wants to take over. It spreads by way of woody runners.
I would like to add some ferns to my hosta garden which "behave" well like the Japanese Painted fern.
Any suggestions?
~Bunnycat

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Which ferns don't take over a garden space?

Christmas fern, northern maidenhair fern, ebony spleenwort. These are well behaved.

Ostrich fern, sensitive fern, bracken fern, these are not well behaved. If your mother lived in the northeast, it was likely ostrich fern which popped up here and there.

Moderately behaved ferns: New York fern, broad beech fern, lady fern, netted chain fern.

In moist places, ferns are more likely to be aggressive than in dry or average places.

o

Thank you. I'll see what I can find in the spring at our garden stores.
~Bunnycat

o

You might want to try Sword Fern as well and they are good value online at the Botany Store www.botanystore.com

o

I don't think that sword fern would survive in zone 5. I can't keep it going in zone 7, even with heavy mulching. It is also moderately invasive in locations in Florida. I would add Autumn Fern and other dryopteris cousins. They are well behaved and fairly easy to grow.

o

The flip version of your question is actually easier; of the ferns commonly on the market there is only a handful that spread aggressively. To the ones already mentioned by Esh (listed as 'not' and 'only moderately' well behaved) I would add the hay-scented fern (Dennstaedtia)m and the little Blechnums wander a bit too. All the Polystichums I've ever met are very good about staying where planted, as are the Woodsias (definitely hardy enough for you), the Dryopterises, the Cyrtomiums... I don't know if you can grow all these, but if you can they'll stay put.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here