Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Help Identifying

Posted by mgeca 6PA (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 11, 07 at 11:35

Hi - I was in a wooded area with acres of ferns where I encountered a small ground plant I can't identify altho I think it occurs commonly. It looks like a fluffy evergreen wreath 2-4" in diameter. Soft to the touch.

I decided to take a few for re-planting at home and then discovered that they are connected underground by a runner, vine, root? I hestitated, worrying about something that might take over my yard.

I had gathered some ferns for my pond area, and when I sorted them out there were a few of these plants (pretty, my wife says) and so they are planted.

Can anyone tell me what I have and if they are a potential nuisance? I'd like more as they are a nice groundcover.

Thanks much - Mike

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Help Identifying

It could be a type of lycopodium.

Here is a link that might be useful: Here is one type

o

I think you are right, even with my sketchy description. I have seen this over the years and "club moss" was on the tip of my tongue but that was it.

What we planted is thriving and growing quite a bit. How invasive is it? If I plant a few areas will I have a problem with it taking over?

Many thanks - Mike

o

For me it is not invasive at all. Some people even have trouble transplanting it as they mistakenly dig up runners instead of rooted sections.

I think it will be easy to control if it starts to exceed the area you want to give it. Just snip it, I have not found it to be that tightly rooted where the runners are.

I think you'll like it. I enjoy the fact that it is evergreen around here and it makes a pleasant sight in the winter.

o

Lycopodiums are protected native plants. Wild plants that usually die when dug up.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here