Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
jodik_gw

Staghorn Fern Mounting Question

jodik_gw
16 years ago

I just received 3 common Staghorn Fern babies, grown as plugs with several small leaves each. The longest leaf is about 3 or 4 inches.

I just mounted them on cedar boards with sphagnum moss, tying them on with spyderwire fishing line wound around nails. I researched the mounting process online and found a couple of really good sites with complete directions.

My question: these fern babies only have the little green leaves that look like the stag's horns, and not the other leaf that looks like a shield. I wrapped the moss around the whole plug/root area, leaving the green leaves sticking out. Did I mount them correctly? Will the shield leaves grow soon, and did I leave enough sticking out so it can grow properly?

I had one of these a long time ago, before I knew much about plants and gardening, and I killed it. I know a lot more now, and have done the research necessary to keep these babies alive... I'm just concerned because every photo I have seen shows a shield leaf growing on the moss medium with the horn leaves protruding from the shield leaves, and my babies don't have the shield leaves...

Please... can anyone tell me what to expect with regards to the shield leaves?? Thank you in advance for any help given!

Comments (6)

• houstonpat
    16 years ago

Not to worry. Sounds like you did it right. The tricky thing for new growers is to get the light and water right. I tend to grow mine in higher light than most and water mine more. If yours are in lower light you may want to water yours less. When these guys are small the may not produce shield fronds well. If they haven't started yet wait till next summer and you may get them. I have one cultivar that never produces shield fronds, though it has grown well and multiplied for many years.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you very much for replying, houstonpat... I was pretty sure I mounted them right, I was just a bit concerned because every photo I have seen shows the brownish shield leaf as well as the green ones everyone is used to seeing.

I've got these little guys in a south facing window, but they don't get direct sunlight as there are two large sycamore trees that filter the light nicely. It's my understanding that they prefer filtered or indirect light.

One more question, if you please... should I wait to soak them with water until they are relatively dry? Or should I keep them moist at all times? The information I've gathered is a bit conflicting on this. It sounds like you are successful at growing these ferns... any help is greatly appreciated!

Thanks again!

• houstonpat
    16 years ago

I try to let them get "just dry". Not crispy dry. Then I submerge the plant in a bucket of water until it just about stops bubbling, then hang them up. I find air circulation key to reducing the probablility of insect pests. Even outdoors in my shade house I have a fan blowing to circulate the air.

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Thank you so much, houstonpat, for all the great information! So far, so good... the little guys look green and healthy.

I bought a bottle of fish emulsion to feed them with, and I've only been using unprocessed well water to water them. Next time it rains, I plan on collecting some for them.

I waited until they were fairly dry before watering/soaking them, and they appear fine. I fed them with a dilute solution of the fish emulsion. Now that I have all the information to keep them going, I only have to watch them grow! And I hear they can be slow growers!

Thanks again!

• houstonpat
    16 years ago

Good choice using fish emulsion. It's probably the best fertilzer for 'em. Though I wonder why they charge so much for it these days. Below is P. h. 'Panama', grown in the shade, it has larger, more pendant fronds. The same plant grown in 70% sun has fairly short, upright fronds.
    {{gwi:611334}}

• jodik_gw
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Wow! That's a beauty! I like how the shield fronds remain green... it looks very healthy!

Thanks for sharing!

Yes, the fish emulsion was a little on the expensive side, but it's worth it. I have some other plants that will benefit from using it, as well. The bottle says it's "deodorized"! I'd hate to smell it before that process! PeeYoo! LOL!

I will try to get a photo of these 3 little guys to post. They are kind of cute when they're small.

Sponsored
Foremost Siding & Exterior Design Solutions in Columbus