Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Soil recommendations new shade fern area

Posted by mcec 8 (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 2, 06 at 12:16

Hi. Its been a looong time since I even logged in to GW. I have a new teaching career, two tween aged daughters and life in general.

However: I need advice: What is a good soil composition for shade fern areas. (sand, soil, compost, whatever)

I have an area under my north facing deck that I want to convert to a fern area. I placed two sword ferns there last fall (gleened from construction sites) One is dead and One is great!! This past week I started to shape and supplement the soil: added a load of sand and half as much composting material from my cold pile and a couple of bags from Home depot.

What is current opinion about soil composition for shade ferns?? Cecile, Portland Oregon.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Soil recommendations new shade fern area

Each species of fern has different requirements regarding is soil. Unless you want nothing but sword ferns under your deck I would keep an eye on it. Sword fern, Nepholepis(sp) will overpower anything else you plant there. First ensure good drainage. Take a bucket full of existing soil to a good nursery. Not Home Depot or the sort or a garden club and let someone with experiance look at it. My soil has a lot of clay in it, so I add coarse sand and peat moss. In areas where I'm growing Adiantum or Pteris I add crushed limestone. And I add Ironite.

o
RE: Soil recommendations new shade fern area

Thanks. I will get my soil looked at..... I love sword ferns though they are VERY large and tough. My usual approach is to research a bit, then try what works, then work around what works.

Again thanks for the response. Cecile

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here