Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
saving moss spores?

Posted by cinnamonshops (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 3, 09 at 13:01

Hi everyone,

Not sure if this is a weird question, but is there any way to preserve moss (or moss spores) for future use?

From what I've read, the best way to obtain moss is usually to simply gather it from the wild; it seems difficult to actually purchase, right? I was thinking of trying to collect some moss on an upcoming vacation, but was wondering if there's a way to transport it and keep it viable for when I get home. I think it would be better not to try to travel with live moss. Is there any way to dry it and reanimate it later, so to speak?

Hopefully I'm explaining this properly!
Thanks in advance for any advice...

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: saving moss spores? (addendum)

PS -- For clarification, I'm interested in growing moss in small-scale terrariums. So I'm not expecting to grow a huge lawn with little crumbles of collected moss.

o
RE: saving moss spores?

Depends on the species. Many mosses can be allowed to dry up and will revive later when water is given. Mosses with thin leaves are more likely to do this than ones with relatively large, broad leaves.

Spores would work as well. Spread the spores lightly over the soil, keep moist and eventually you should get some algae-like threads called protonema over the surface of the soil, and from these eventually little shoots.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here