Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
mold and moss

Posted by brendon Kansas (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 6, 07 at 13:11

I am growing an indigenous species of moss in a terracotta dish in my bedroom. I have a problem however, a white, cotton-like mold is growing on the moss. I want to neutralize the mold without killing the moss. Can I use a hydrogen peroxide-water formula or maybe vinegar to kill the mold without killing the moss?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: mold and moss

No brendon. it will kill the moss. do not even use fertilizer either.
best thing to do is to take the dish outside into the
fresh air and let it dry back some. The moss should
survive but I really would need to know what kind of moss it is and how you are growing it. Perhaps not enought
light and too much water or no drainage???

o
RE: mold and moss

After I posted this question I decided to try my own way to get rid of the mold and retain moisture for the moss.

I took an appropriately sized glass panel, cleaned the glass with a gentle antibacterial hand cleanser, and put it on the dish. After almost a week there is no sign of the cotton-like mold and the moisture level has improved.

As to your questions:

I am not sure what species of moss I am growing, I don't even have a common name to go on. I found it growing in the shade of an old building and I live in north-central Kansas, if that helps at all.

I have simulated the moss's natural environment by giving it indirect sunlight throughout most of the day.

As for water I think I water it too much, I think it is because when I think of moss I think of sphagnum and lots of water so I tend to over water my moss. The moss is in terracotta so a small amount of water is released through the clay material.

I will try to upload a picture this evening.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here