Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
kathyp_gw

Need help with Staghorn Fern

kathyp
17 years ago

I just recieved a Staghorn as a gift - it's planted in a small nursery pot in what looks like potting mix. (Soil)

I always thought that they needed to be grown on wood. Can I put it in a pot with bark - like an orchid? Or should I do something else. I live in CA, so dry is the norm for most of the year. I would need to have this plant inside, and hanging it is not really feasible right now. Is there any hope?

Thanks, Kathy

Comments (2)

• houstonpat
    17 years ago

Howdy Kathy, Sure you can grow common stags indoors in a pot. Keep it near a window where it can get bright light all day. Let the soil dry out a bit between waterings. Red clay pots work best, I like orchid pots.

• subtropix
    17 years ago

You can use a clay pot or orchid pot (with side slits) if you like (breathe better but dry out quicker). (I use basic plastic.) I definitely suggest a soil consisting mostly of sphagnum moss, peat, and wood chips. If you lived in Florida you could grow it on wood, but Calif. is way too dry for that. You could use loose orchid mixes but I would work a significant bit of sphagnum/peat into the mix. It would benefit from a summer outside in filtered sun, mist often. They're easy ferns!:)

Sponsored
Ed Ball Landscape Architecture
Average rating: 4.8 out of 5 stars30 Reviews
Exquisite Landscape Architecture & Design - “Best of Houzz" Winner