Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
suggestions for a fern

Posted by BraSpadya z7a MD (My Page) on
Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 16:40

Hello:
I am helping a friend design a very small Japanese garden for her new garden level apartment in Bethesda Maryland (zone 7). There is a large light well that opens onto 3 windows in the main sitting area. The bottom of the light well is covered with medium sized white pebbles. The light well gets filtered shade for much of the day. The back & sides of the light well are lined with masonary walls, about 2.5 foot tall .

Anyway, the main plant element is likely to be a shallow planting dish filled with moss & perhaps a single fern. I would love some advice on picking a particular fern species. It would ideally be somewhat upright, perhaps 2 to 3 ft tall. Hardy in Zone 7. The foliage might be evergreen, or at least retain some interesting shape in the winter months. Ferns able to take a bit of abuse are better than delicate ones.

Thanks for any suggestions!

Dan

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: suggestions for a fern

• Posted by Herb Victoria, B.C. (My Page) on
    Sun, Aug 14, 05 at 17:41

There are some included in the list here that may interest you -

Click here

o

• Posted by KarinL Vancouver Z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 18, 05 at 21:05

ONE fern? Choose ONE fern??? That captures in two words why I would have difficulty gardening in the Japanese style! If I understand correctly you would be seeing this plant from fairly close up so you'd want it to have pretty fronds, so I would consider... Dryopteris affinis, varia, or clintoniana, Polystichum makinoi or neolobatum, Osmunda claytoniana, or Matteuccia orientalis. These are some of the ferns whose fronds I enjoy the most throughout the year. They don't all comply with your "upright" criterion, but you said "fairly" upright, so I assumed some flexibility here.

o

Thanks to both of you for your answers! I really appreciate the suggestions.

Cheers,

Dan

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here