Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mowmowgreen

Monster Ferns

mowmowgreen
18 years ago

There's a house near me that has a mass of huge ferns that are easily 4 feet tall and 2 feet wide. They almost look like shrubs. What kind of monster ferns are these?

Comments (10)

• karinl
    18 years ago

Do the fronds grow upright from all over the patch, or do they arch outward from a central point? If the former, it is probably Dryopteris x australis (Dixie Wood Fern). If the latter... a little tougher. Maybe Dryopterix x complexa (Robust Male Fern), or maybe Osmunda Regalis (Royal Fern). Any additional detail you can provide would help narrow it down. Is it growing in sun or shade, is it evergreen, are the fronds almost leafy, or very ferny...

• Iris GW
    18 years ago

I would say it could be cinnamon fern (especially if the area is moist) if the area is natural, southern wood fern (theylpteris kunthii) if the area is a garden, or even Marianna maiden fern (an invasive fern that can be found in either natural or cultivated areas).

This is my experience with "monster" ferns in Georgia.

• mowmowgreen
    Original Author
    18 years ago

They're in a very shady part of the yard. I can't really tell how the fronds are growing, as I can only see them from the street, but they look to be growing outward. The leaves of the fronds look like the smaller ferns that grow native in my area, but they are not as tight and compact. There is a space of maybe an inch between the various leaves. I'll keep my eye on them as the seasons change and see if they're evergreen. Maybe I can even catch the homeowner outside and inquire.

• karinl
    18 years ago

Inquiry might be the most efficient way.... also try Googling the names given above, and perhaps you can find a diagram or photo for comparative purposes.

• karinl
    18 years ago

And I should have added that your additional descriptions point away from the Royal Fern and the Dixie, but leave many options open still. If you can post a photo then the forum may be able to help further, but otherwise I'd say you need to match the image you can see with a fern book or website.

• razorback33
    18 years ago

If those are my ferns you saw, they are Hypolepis repens(Bramble fern). They are very similar and often mistaken for Macrothelypteris torresiana(Mariana Maiden or Sword fern). They are a FL native and slow to become established here, but once they adapt to the soil and climate, can become invasive, with fronds popping up many feet away. Fortunately, they are shallow rooted and are easily removed. Would not recommend for a small or tidy garden.
    Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Bramble fern

• kms4me
    18 years ago

Could they possibly be ostrich ferns? They get huge here up north, and according to my info, are hardy as far south as zone 8.

Just a thought,

Kate

• Dee Lewis
    2 years ago

Do these ferns need to be covered in cold weather - Tennessee?

• gardengal48 (PNW Z8/9)
    2 years ago

Since this extremely outdated thread provided neither a location nor a photo of the fern in question, no ID was confirmed.

Impossible to say what type of fern might be growing in your Tennessee garden but in general, hardy garden ferns require no winter protection.

You might want to start a new thread with clear photos of the fern you have questions about and post in the Name That Plant forum.

• Dee Lewis
    2 years ago

Thank you.

Sponsored