Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Wild Truffles In PA?

Posted by agirlsgirl PA (My Page) on
Wed, Aug 1, 07 at 20:40

Hi! Anyone out there know anything about Wild Truffles in Pennsylvania? Do we have them here? Are they common in this area?If any, what types would typicaly be found? I believe possibly,the dogs of a dear friend of mine,have discovered a patch on her property! They return to the dark moist area under a tree quite frequently,any chance they get!!! Any information is welcomed and much appreciated!Good wishes to all!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Wild Truffles In PA?

Dogs don't like to eat truffles, though they can be trained to find them. If your friend's dogs haven't been truffle trained, there is likely something else attracting them to the tree. Maybe a dead animal is buried under the tree or an animal is roosting in the tree and dropping urine or scat under the tree.

Truffles species do grow in North America, mostly on the west coast, but their ediblility has not been established. See the link below for info

Here is a link that might be useful: Truffles

o
RE: Wild Truffles In PA?

im not sure if truffles are found in pa but i know that the response from judy b should be ignored simply bescause they say in response that a truffles edibility has not been establised and yet it has been on the tables as a delicacy for centuries and is today one of the most expesnsive edible mushrooms there is
hope you find out if they can be found in pa im looking too lol almost listened to judy till she said they are not edible good luck

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here