Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Could someone recommend a moss book?

Posted by cynandjon 5-6 (My Page) on
Sat, Aug 9, 08 at 20:54

I live in NE PA and love moss. We have many different varieties in our wetlands. Does anyone have a favorite moss book they could suggest? I really wish I could find one for our area of pa.
thanks
cyn

Follow-Up Postings:

o
adding to above

purpose of book would be for identification
thanks

o
RE: Could someone recommend a moss book?

You might try this one./Link below/

George Schenk wrote a book about Mosses for Gardens, but not sure it would be that helpful in identifying mosses in a given area.
There are probably some scientific papers and books covering Mosses and Bryophytes of PA. You might have some success in a search of your local library. The Penn State library would probably be the best source of information, If you are over in that direction.
Good luck!
Rb

Here is a link that might be useful: Outstanding Mosses & Liverworts of Pennsylvania & Nearby States

o

I looked at the library and I went to the conservation district office. Neither one have any books about moss native to NE pa.
Thanks for the link, I'll check it out.
cyn

o

The site below has a Moss Growers Handbook listed under "External Links" near the bottom of the page.
This is a downloadable PDF document that provides keys to moss identification. Only line drawings/sketches are provided, but may be useful, if no other photographic information is available.
Good luck!
om

Here is a link that might be useful: Moss

o

I do not have any favorite moss books but I use the internet to construct whatever documentation I need in my studies. The link below will probably list many of the species found in your area. Why I am sending this is that the list of references may be what you may want to research. It would be a good start to use at a library search.

Here is a link that might be useful: Checklist of NJ mosses with references

o

I second razorback's link: "Outstanding Mosses & Liverworts of Pennsylvania & Nearby States" by Susan Munch. 90 pages, color pics, pen & ink drawings and a full description of all bryophytes in our area. The book cover says you can email the author at susanm@alb.edu to buy a book.
Sam

o

Thanks everyone I appreciate it. I will check out all the links
cyn

o
george schneck

Im calling the book store to see if I can order the book by George Schenk. Thanks

o
book

Oh the book is by susan munch, I was confused.

o

The George Schenk book is very useful, and he is a fun writer to read. I recommend this very highly. I also downloaded "The Moss Growers Handbook" which someone kindly sent a link for - I think it went to the Royal Horticultural Society. If you can't find it let me know.

o

Ok little toad thanks!Ill check out the george schenk book also.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here