Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
christinmk

I love Mushrooms! Can you help me ID some please?

Hello! I suppose im a true PNW girl. I love lichens, moss, and especially ferns. Recently ive also come to love mushrooms. I used to always whack them down if I saw them growing in my yard, but now im secretly delighted when I see one. Is that weird?

I was wondering if you guys could help me ID a few. Dont worry I dont go around eating unknown shrooms, lol! I just like the way they look.

The first is really interesting. I noticed this in the early spring in an area in which I had just layed down a bit of compost (from my own composter). I had two of them actually. It has craters in the dark brown top. It lasted a few days before the top blew off and the hollow stems were left by themselves.

{{gwi:612238}}

Second pic is of a cluster also from spring. Cute arn't they? They popped up around an old stump.

{{gwi:612239}}

A year or so ago I had some neat reddish-brown mushrooms growing around the stump you see in above pic. They were leathery and had a flat top. Interestingly enough they grew in the VERY early spring when it was still quite cool out. Know what they are?

And right now I have some absolutly AMAZING ones growing on a large old stump in another part of my yard. I first noticed a white mass on the top of it. I thought some critter might have upchucked on it but I looked closer and it was some sort of fungus. A few days later I noticed some of this hard white stuff oozing out from the cracks of the stump too. This mass has now 'bloomed'. There are brown crecent scales emerging with white edges. Im thrilled! Do you know what it could be? Sorry no pics yet.

Thank you!

CMK

Comments (4)

Sponsored