Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
mdvaden_of_oregon

Have Mushroom Image Album. Any names welcome

mdvaden_of_oregon
17 years ago

About 2 years ago, I started photographing mushrooms after one particular one got my attention. Now I find them interesting.

Last year or so, I started an album for them online.

I only know the names of a few.

If anybody happens to know one or two, I'd be glad to know.

It may take me another year or two to name them all.

Oregon Forest Mushroom Album

Comments (12)

• sweeper
    17 years ago

No expect but here my guess from the picts. It will give you a starting point

# 16 Hen of the woods

#11 Ling Chih

Isn't #52 the same as #1

#62 Red-belted Polypore

#19 Jelly Tooth

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. I read the reply last week. I've been catching up on some website tinkering and an article for an arborist related site.

I think this coming week will be a good one, to start adding some names.

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Thanks. I read the reply last week. I've been catching up on some website tinkering and an article for an arborist related site.

I think this coming week will be a good one, to start adding some names.

• bspofford
    17 years ago

Great photos! They certainly illustrate the beauty of these unique wonders. Please try to locate a local mushroom club. They will help you identify and teach you to identify, and may even like to have some dupes of your slides. Most clubs have a fairly large library of photos, and you have some really nice shots.
    I see you spent some time in the Rogue River area, great mushrooming, as is the area over the California border. I was headed out of the Eureka airport with a friend one time, and heading down the hall I blurted out "I smell Matsutake". We rounded the corner and there was a whole pallet of Matsutakes cleaned and in little plastic boxes, on their way to Japan.

Keep up the nice work.

Barbara

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Finally started to enter a couple of the names supplied. Thanks.

And they mushrooms are really popping up everywhere again now. Just saw some enormous Sulfur Shelfs in the Redwoods today. Both on fallen logs and 40 feet up on decayed trunks.

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

By the way, one of the mushroom I'm very curious about, is currently #22.

It has a lot of character.

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Still curious about the one that WAS #22. It's near that frame. It's 21 today. Light brown one with the cone cap and a slight twist on the stem.

• reg_pnw7
    17 years ago

Very nice photos and they load quickly - I appreciate that! Here's a few names you probably already know but just haven't posted yet.

51 is an amanita, either fly agaric or panther amanita.
    52 is one of the boletes - spongy underside instead of gills.
    57 is a coral
    60 is a chantrelle
    21 - isnt' that one of the dryad's saddle types?

I love photographing mushrooms. They sit still for you!

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

I'll probably add a couple of names this week.

The coral and bolete that you mentioned look right.

I searched for "dryads saddle" and it looks quite a bit different, almost shaped like an old metal tractor seat - it's a shelf-like polypore.

But I'm glad you mentioned it, because I think I've seen them. Surprised I don't have a photo of one; in fact, I'm going to double check.

• sherryazure
    17 years ago

Don't know any names but wanted to say I've added you to my favorites list. Beautiful photos. I am from Rogue River area and been to many of the places you've mentioned and apparently missed these fantastic forms. Thanks for sharing your work. And natures! Sherry

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    17 years ago

SherryAzure...

The redwoods forest to the west, had some really nice fungi this last November. Several people showed me their photos of some very colorful sulfur shelf.

Time flies - I hadn't been back to this category since December.

• mdvaden_of_oregon
    Original Author
    16 years ago

Just posted one of the images on a site today, called Panoramio.com

Sulfur shelf fungi in the Redwoods.

If you get GPS coordinates, you can map it and in time, it shows on Google Earth.

I'm going to do this with more mushrooms in the future, since many re-occur from year to year. Especially some non-edibles for which there is little need to keep secret.

If anyone learns of great fungi patches, consider posting on that panoramio.com and entering GPS for the image.

Also switched my album background to all black now - seems better for viewing. Decided to try it after seeing photographers do it.

Sponsored
Preferred General Contracting, Inc.
Average rating: 4.7 out of 5 stars9 Reviews
Fairfax County's Specialized, Comprehensive Renovations Firm