Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
ID these mushrooms at base of oak tree

Posted by anitamo z5 IL (My Page) on
Sun, Aug 12, 07 at 21:35

Can someone tell me what these mushrooms are that are growing around the base of an old red oak tree? There are about 4 of these, and now they have some black growth on them, too.

I posted in the tree forum, and I got a reply that it indicates decay and the tree is probably dying. I don't know if I need to know the name of the mushroom, but I'm really curious about it. How serious does this look? Also, the fern(top right) in the first pic is turning brown...is lack of water the cause, or a sign of something worse?
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket
Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: ID these mushrooms at base of oak tree

Hard to tell if it's a shelf mushroom unless you can see the underside of it. Is it hard, or soft?

o
RE: ID these mushrooms at base of oak tree

I've had some of these (on a half-dead box elder) for several years now. The first appeared when we cut off a branch that had been broken in a storm. (Why is it the live branches get damaged, not the dead ones?) Now the mushrooms are forming in other spots on the tree. Just about the whole center of this tree is dead. Someone told me they are shelf mushrooms.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here