Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
sun loving ferns

Posted by weedwhacker z5 OH (My Page) on
Mon, Aug 8, 05 at 21:50

Can anyone give me a list of ferns I might possibly grow in my zone 5 sunny yard? I have very little shade and it is in the morning until about 1 oclock pm,high shade. I can grow some sun tolerant hostas which I adore, but I also like ferns and miss them after moving to a new sunny home. I tried an ostrich fern next to my hostas, but it is either dead or dormant due to the excessive heat and drought this summer. I like sunny gardening but miss a lot of my shade plants :(

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: sun loving ferns

I have my Christmas ferns (Polystichum acrostichoides) in shade, but they're supposed to be more sun-tolerant than many ferns. They have a somewhat different look than ostrich ferns, but I like it, and like the fact that the foliage remains through the winter.

o

• Posted by KarinL Vancouver Z8 (My Page) on
    Thu, Aug 11, 05 at 19:50

Well I would first suggest making some shade if at all possible, with a trellis or a statue or a garbage can or something. Or a shrub or tree. But failing that, I've grown a number of Dryopteris ferns in quite a bit of sun, though mine always got some relief in the afternoon which is when yours will be exposed. Having said all that, there isn't much I'd put past the Robust male fern, Dryopteris x complexa.

o

If given lots of water, Osmundas grow quite nicely in the sun. Try both O. regalis and O. cinnamomea. But remember to keep them very moist (or even wet) or they will dry to a crisp! PF

o

• Posted by pdnyc z7 Long Island (My Page) on
    Sun, Sep 11, 05 at 15:37

I've found Hay-scented ferns (Dennstaedtia punctilobula) equally hardy (and beautiful!) in both sun and shade -- and they spread rapidly. As someone else noted, the Ostrich ferns will be fine in the sun if they have adequate moisture, BUT even so, they'll start looking sun-burned and tattered in late August, whereas in a shadier spot they'll be green and attractive right through the fall.

o

I think the suggestion of making an arbor for some quick shade is great. Cover it with an annual that grows quickly to start and then plant some perennials that will eventually take over. I made one with treated wood salvaged from an old deck using 2 6"x6" posts set in cement, nailed a pair of 1x6's-one on each side-and then using short one by ones accross them for a real substantial structure. Cutting the ends at an angle gave it a nice finnished look. If you put some lattice with it you'd get a nice patch of shade.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here