Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
rainforestguy

Growing Platycerium madagascariense

RainforestGuy
12 years ago

For most collectors, Platycerium madagascariense (and P. ridleyi) are probably the most difficult species to grow. P. madagascariense is very prone to rots.

I have found that this species best grows in areas with lower light levels, good air circulation and not so wet as it appears to be grown.

I have a feeling this species grows under thick canopy trees that remain evergreen the year around. Unlike another Madagascar species, P. quadridichotomum, this one grows in drier regions with periods of long droughts.

Overall, Madagascar is a tropical paradise with even rainfall the year around and I believe this species (P. madagascariense) grows with even warmth with seasonal cool periods throughout the year.

For plants grown in captivity, this species likes to get wet, then dry off at night. If anyone has ever grown a phalaenopsis orchid successfully, then growing P. mad will be an easy second. This orchid, like P. mad grows in intermediate to warm conditions. Phalaenopsis although preferring a warm climate, is initiated by cooler temperatures to initiate flowering. P. madagascariense grows evenly throughout the year with warm temperatures and during the winter may be subject to periods of dryness and intermittent sprinkles. This species does not like to get overly dry otherwise sacrificing their shield fronds may occur.

{{gwi:612573}}

P. madagascariense doesn't seem too particular about its water so long as it gets it regularly. I cannot speak for those who live in areas of high chlorinated or treated water, but I have seen them grown well in many kinds of acid rain to alkaline water with no ill effects to the plant.

{{gwi:612575}}

P. madagascariense enjoys good air circulation. Plants grown even in deep shade grow best when given adequate air circulation. I do have some growing in rather drafty areas and when first placed there, they were battered and showed some browning but now they are robust and rather leathery in appearance.Importantly they need to get watered regularly to continue its growth cycle.

Sponsored