Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Overwintering a Japanese Painted?

Posted by lilgreenfrog 5a CO (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 27, 07 at 0:34

Hello - I found the previous thread about these, and was encouraged to hear someone has kept them alive in a zone meaner than mine.

I had one of these ferns last year but lost it last winter, possibly because of 3 feet of snow sitting on it for 4 months, and then melting and drowning it in my clay. Anyway, I have another one this year, already 15 inches tall, and I want to keep it! What would it like this winter? They die back to the ground (I believe), so should I mulch the spot? Or keep the snow cleared off of it? Last year's snow was freakish, and this one's soil is better ammended, so hopefully it won't drown.
Thanks for any help!

Lara

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Overwintering a Japanese Painted?

I've never had any trouble with that or any of my other ferns that were hardy. I suspect it was something other than the heavy snow. Did water sit on it when the new fronds were emerging. If so site it where that won't happen.

o

You know, I never saw any fronds come out of last year's plant. It never showed any signs of life - I scraped away the mulch once the snow melted. Maybe I waited too long? I thought it was a late waker, but it may have tried to come up early. Or, my late frost might have gotten it before I saw anything.
Thanks for the info - the new one is in a better location, I believe.

Thanks,
Lara

o

• Posted by arcy mn 3/4 (My Page) on
    Mon, Oct 1, 07 at 12:01

I do nothing with mine and they come through winter just fine. I have good drainage, so maybe it was the sitting water? The freeze thaw cycle is usually the hardest thing on plants. Once frozen you want to keep them frozen until spring. The snow should have been helpful, for this. Good luck!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here