Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
justjoeygirl

Advice for moving an Ostrich fern please...

JustJoeyGirl
18 years ago

I am new to this forum, and I don't want to stick around long, for fear of another obsession. That is how I got hooked on hosta. I had a question about dividing one and got hooked. Now I want to move some of my Ostrich fern into my hosta garden and was wondering how and when to do this. I see some of you have mixed opinions on WHEN to do this. If anyone can help, I'd appreciate the advice:

I have six Ostrch fern that spread from the original plant, all a good size, although the fronds are turning brown now from lack of water ( drought here ) I'd like to move three of them to the other garden area..it has sufficient moisture there. How deep do the roots go? how far out do I need to dig....etc?

Is spring or fall better? I'd like to have them looking their best for next year, since I've never moved one, I was wondering how moving them in one season or another affects their "leafing' out. Any advice would be welcome..thank you..JoAnn

(Please, no photos, I'll only get hooked on fern and have to spend time here, ask for sources, empty my bank account, take pictures post them here....ha ha ha...thanks again..JoAnn)

Comments (2)

Sponsored