Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
bob_n_bernie_wa

Moss ID help

bob_n_bernie_wa
12 years ago

We have this plant growing in a vegetable garden bed and would like to know if it is a moss for sure. If it is, what type to determine whether to save it for use in other places. We have other moss varieties but this is the first time we have noticed this plant.

Don't ask how much shade our garden endures. LOL We are happy we can get most of our favorite vegetables to grow under these conditions.

{{gwi:613710}}

Thanks in advance for your help, BobnBernie

Comments (2)

• lycopus
    12 years ago

Not a moss but a liverwort. Yours appears to be the common liverwort, Marchantia polymorpha. It thrives under continually moist and fertile conditions. Sometimes it is considered a weed by nurseries because it thrives in pots that are kept under sprinklers and given regular doses of fertilizer.

• oliveoyl3
    12 years ago

Considered a pest & often comes with purchased plants that have spent extended time in a pot at a nursery. I believe I read it likes acidic soil & dampness, so removing it then raising the ph of your garden bed may prevent regrowth. It can spread fast in the right conditions. In western WA I see it a lot & promptly toss in the trash or the firepit for burning later.

Sponsored
Dave Fox Design Build Remodelers
Average rating: 4.9 out of 5 stars49 Reviews
Columbus Area's Luxury Design Build Firm | 17x Best of Houzz Winner!