Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
martina_deluca

Can someone ID this fern please?

Martina DeLuca
11 years ago

Would like a name so I can try and find one to purchase. Are there any others like this with long fronds?

Comments (7)

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

I saw one like that just recently growing in rainforest. Took photos but still haven't found an ID. I'd like an ID so the photos can be labelled. If I do find out I'll post here as well.

• Martina DeLuca
    Original Author
    11 years ago

Thank you. What rainforest were you in?

• dryadella
    11 years ago

Nephrolepis pendula

Rgds

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

It was the Daintree rainforest in Queensland.

Further checking, the closest I could get was Nephrolepis cordifolia. But I have that as an upright fern myself. Searched images showed drooping plants as well as upright ones. So there appeared to be at least 2 forms of it. But Dryadella seems to have nailed it, thanks. Further checking with Dryadella's name turned up that Nephrolepis cordifolia var pendula is a synonym of Nephrolepis pendula.

• tropicbreezent
    11 years ago

A bit more searching and I came up with another option, Nephrolepis acutifolia. This was from a site for Marshall Islands plants:

"Description: This fern produces pendulous fronds up to 6 m (20 ft) long on some of the many Pacific Islands where it can be found.

Distribution: Baidik is a native fern found on the wetter atolls of the Marshall Islands, including AelÃÂ�üapüap, MÃÂjro, ArÃÂo, JÃÂlooj, Epoon, and Namwo. It is sometimes seen hanging downward as an air-plant (epiphyte) from trees in damp areas, such as in the few real mangrove swamps in the Marshall Islands (for example, on AirÃÂk, AelÃÂ�üapüap Atoll)."

It's also found in the rain/mangrove forests here. Here's a photo I took recently, most likely it's the acutifolia.

• garyfla_gw
    11 years ago

Hi
    Would bet they're correct but to my knowledge the only
    Nephrolepis is the native N. exaltata. The others are
    catagory one invasives in florida. Exaltata has tubers while the others do not . You could check on floridata to see what this means . Usually it just means that they can't be bought or sold but there are some some progarms to remove non native Nephrolepis particularly cordifolia. My lot is over run with them but I "THInk I only have exaltata.lol just thought I'd give a heads up?? gary

• dryadella
    11 years ago

Nephrolepis cordifolia has got tubers but exaltata and pendula has not.

Rgds

Sponsored
Creating Thoughtful, Livable Spaces For You in Franklin County