Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moss vs worms

Posted by dgctb NC (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 27, 11 at 16:19

I've been cultivating a moss lawn for the past 2 and a half years, and the moss is finally starting to fill in thanks in part to some recent and much needed rains. Unfortunately, the moisture has also encouraged the worms, and I now have worm casting piles throughout the yard-- completely disrupting the moss! What can I do to discourage the worms without damaging the moss any further? I spoke with the folks at Moss Acres, who told me they hear of this problem every once in a while but have not come up with a solution. I'd be grateful for any recommendations-- especially from others who may have encountered (and been successful in combating) this problem.

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moss vs worms

Don't water the moss. The worms will either go deeper if possible or move to wetter spots.

o

thanks-- currently the ground is wet due to rain, so there's not much I can do about that. And of course, it's the rain that is also encouraging the moss to spread, which I desperately need-- after 2 plus years, the yard still looks like a dirt lot in most areas.

o

Sounds like you need to work up a profile on your yard.
That is using graph paper plot out the yard with inclusion of overhanging trees (large circles), shrubs (smaller circles), presence of rocks, ornaments, walks, driveways, paths, and whatever is present. See link below.
You need to determine the general type of soil you may have, which I am wildly guessing is probably either a red or a gray clay soil base ????? Check this link >
Soil types maps

Part of the problem for noninvasion by mosses into the bare areas may be due to a combination of the type of moss species present, the amount of exposure to the sun or lack thereof, the nature of the soil.
There is one methodoly that may be of use to you. I am surprised that Moss Acres did not mention it. Using a grow felt system. Check out this link > New Moss Gardening

This method might even keep the worms from messing things up as you are growing the mosses on top of a mat that sits on top of a plastic sheet. Check the site and ask Rick questions if it interests you. I grow my many mosses in containers and experimented with Rick's method. Here is a page on that experiment.

Also since you are in NC you may want to contact Mossing Annie! Here is Annie Martin's link > Mountain Moss

Perhaps the above info will help you achieve your goal of a green yard!
Here is one of my mini-"yards"

Here is a link that might be useful: Draw your landscape plan

o

Thank you for this detailed response! I'll be following up on your creative suggestions.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here