Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
what kind of fungus is among us....

Posted by tepelus z5/6 ohio (My Page) on
Thu, Sep 6, 07 at 17:05

what is this feathery looking fungus, any clue?

Photo Sharing and Video Hosting at Photobucket

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: what kind of fungus is among us....

I think thats a Dodder,a weird grass fiend.

o

It's not dodder, that's a vining weed, this is a fungus, cuz when it's disturbed spores come flying out of it, and it only seems to be growing in one spot.

o

stemonitis - chocolate tube slime mold

o

Sometimes, the UK has different common names than what we are used to. The dodder that we are familiar with in the US looks (to me) like someone went crazy with silly string.

But, WOW! I have never seen such a creature as that slime mold! I'm going to have to keep my eyes open for that one.

Here is a link that might be useful: More information

o

Didn't realize the first response was from the UK....lol! Probably so, but bluebars has it right. Thanks!

o
RE: what kind of fungus is among us..../

Ah you see we don't get such exotic pests over here-i'd think it rather cool if I found that. Slime molds are fascinating things,not fungi but a group all to themselves.

o

That's cool. I've only had the dog vomit type of slime mold in my yard. It happened when my sister's dog was visiting, and I thought the fluorescent stuff was actual dog vomit from the junk dog food she feeds her dog, with all its artificial color, LOL!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here