Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
taequilty

Growing Moss On Painted Wood Panels

taequilty
11 years ago

Hello my fellow green thumbed Gardeners!

First thank you for all the help I've found on these forums. I've been a reader here a long time but I've finally come across a problem I don't believe has ever been address on this forum.

I'm working on a project growing moss on painted wood panels to bring something alive and beautiful into my room for the winter. I have read online instructions to make a paintable solution of moss that would allows me to form whatever decorative shapes I wish on the aforementioned panels. Sounds great, but thus far I've been unable to get it to work.

Here's what I'm working with:

1. My wood panels are thin (1/3" deep) and made of regular stock wood, painted black using acrylic paint (very thin layer).

2. The moss solution is made of moss I collected from the woods (all one type) near my house which I cleaned, removing dirt, and blended with beer, some miracle grow, water retention gel, water and yogurt. It has a good consistency and I was able to apply it in the desired pattern. I've watered it every few days using a spray can laced with some miracle grow until it is fully damped but...

Nothing has grown in the few weeks since I first applied it.

I'm willing to try anything to get this project to fruition.

Is moss unable to grow on painted surfaces? (I could discard the paint.) Should my panel face north? Does it need to be in a specific temperature? Is there a specific sort of moss I should use? Is there anything wrong in the way of my solution? Is a simple flat wood surface not ideal?

Thank you all for the help!

The-currently-not-so-green-thumbed, Taylor Q

Comments (3)

Sponsored
Columbus' Home Design Experts Specializing in Custom Cabinets