Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
moss

Posted by palemule (My Page) on
Wed, Sep 17, 08 at 18:11

HI, I have moss growing in my yard but i also have some weeds and a little grass. How can i get the moss to spread and kill the weeds and grass without harming the moss???

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: moss

I think you need to look at the moss growing in your yard.
How is it growing? In shade? Is there weeds and grass growing with it? What is the kind of soil? How about the moss, what kind is it: a creeping carpet or a mat of upright stems or?
I do not encourage using any chemicals to discourage weeds on mosses but prefer to alter the way that the area the moss is growing in to be more suitable for the moss rather than the weeds, such as by daily watering, adding more shade if the moss favors shade, using the plastic cover on the soil surface in order to get the weeds and grasses to die back or just hoeing them or pulling them out.
It is impossible to have a purely mossy landscape without some weeds appearing. I even get them in the little cups that I use to grow moss in-just gotta get in and pull them out after making sure the soil is wet and the weeds can be taken out easily.

o
RE: moss

I feel terrible about the unnaturalness of this, but I take a weed wacker and just wack everything above the moss, and then water the moss if I have the time. I used to laboriously pick the weeds out of the moss one at a time, taking great care not to rip out the moss with the weeds. Wacking is much more satisfying. The weeds come back quicker this way, but I just wack 'em again.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here