Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
joy4me_gw

What ferm or other crypto would this be?

joy4me
17 years ago

Hi there:

Small, about 1" long at this time, almost heart shaped leaves on dark stems approx. 2-3" tall. (Starter plant) Not traditional fronds. Just leaves on stems that, though soft, have a leathery appearance.. Tiny leaflets grow along the central vein. I haven't been able to get an ID. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks!!!!

Comments (7)

• karinl
    17 years ago

Indoor? Outdoor? Sure it's a fern at all?
    Photo would help.

• joy4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Karin;

Thanks for your response!

The head of the nursery said it was a fern, but did not have and ID. It came in with an assortment of various other ferns. He said he has seen it before but couldn't remember the name. I believe it's an indoor fern. I have checked a number of sites, houseplant and fern book and North American wildlife book and cannot find it.

Sorry, I'm not able to post pics until I get a new scanner/printer :>(.

The stems are wire like and brown/black. When new shoots come up from the soil they look as though they would become fronds, they unfold though, in fact to become leaves. The heart shaped leaves have an exaggerated, elongated tip and it does form a clump. The roots are very matted and wire like also, similar to ferns, as compared to regular house plant roots. Too small to tell if it is rhizomatous like some of the large outdoor ferns, but I think it may if this should grow larger. It has that hardness beneath the stems and above the roots. It doesn't seem to me that it will grow very large though.

I Just love this little thing and hope to name it soon.

• karinl
    17 years ago

I'm out of my element with indoor plants, Joy, but will keep it in mind as I peruse my fern manual, as I often do. Though it sounds like maybe you have the book angle covered.

Another strategy you might consider is to shop around at other stores. I find that when one retailer has something, others inevitably do too. You might find either a label or a retailer who knows. Or, perhaps the retailer where you bought it could contact the supplier.

Also, you might consider forums where people specialize in indoor plants. Don't know if GW even has one, but the UBC Botanical Garden site does.

Good luck!

• joy4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi Karin:
    Thanks for you interest!!

I did do just that, shopping around I mean. No luck with and ID yet. Though I did come across another of the same plant and snapped it up. It was from the same nursery and again, no tag. The Supervisor at the nursery went through all his books too and we couldn't find it. So I'll just keep hoping. I Just Love this little guy!!!

• tennisgirl06
    17 years ago

Hi! I have a plant that sounds very similar to this, and was just researching to figure out what kind it was. I found this site that shows the one I have. It shoudl be the two top pictures. Hope this helps.

Here is a link that might be useful: Adiantum aethiopicum (Common maidenhair)

• Aaron_UK
    17 years ago

Try looking up Heart Fern (Hemionitis arifolia)

• joy4me
    Original Author
    17 years ago

Hi All;

Aaron got it!!!!

You would think I could have thought to key that into google for the shape of the leaves alone.

Thanks so much to all of you for your help. This is a lovely plant and I hope I can raise it well.

Happy Fall to you All!!!

Sponsored