Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
scoot_or_die

New to mushrooms with a ton of questions!

scoot_or_die
13 years ago

I'd really like to grow mushrooms in my own backyard, but I have a ton of questions before before my wife will let me invest any money into this new project. I have the basics down, but there are a lot of details that I can't find answers to. I have a shady spot at the end of my vegetable garden that is under a maple tree, and I can't grow anything else there. I'd like to make use of this space by growing mushrooms there. I plan to use plug spawn and to grow shiitake and oyster mushrooms next to each other, but on separate logs. So my questions:

1. Can I start mushrooms in the fall, or should I wait until spring? I know getting logs in spring just before the leaves develop is best, but would it make that much difference if I get a log this fall? (A coworker of mine is planning to cut down a couple maple trees this fall). Does anyone have a strong preference for any specific hardwoods?

2. I want to grow my mushrooms in a shady spot under a tree, but the area is otherwise open and pretty dry. Is this a suitable location for growing mushrooms?

3. Does it matter how I orient the logs (horizontal vs. vertical)?

4. Can I partially bury the logs? I'd like to stand them up vertically, partially buried, or at the very least, lay them flat directly on my soft garden soil.

5. Should I seal the ends of the logs with wax?

6. Should I water the mushroom logs? Would it be okay to [gently] hose them down with city water? Since the mushrooms will be in part of my vegetable garden, I can easily water the logs with a hose, but the water will be chlorinated.

Okay, I think that's all for now! Thanks for all your help!

Comment (1)