Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
grullablue

Japanese painted ferns

grullablue
16 years ago

Hello,

I have a spot along my foundation that I would like to put some shade plants, perennials, hopefully something that may spread enough I wouldnt' have to weed much once established. I LOVE the Japanese Painted Ferns, I see there are different types. This area would receive some morning sun, but from about 11am on would be in the shade. I am also not worried about anything taking over in that area, as it is along a sidewalk. Should these be planted in the spring? I have heard that fall planting is quite common, but not sure about these. Also, do they look brilliant with their colors all season? And...could other perennials be planted with them, say lilies of the valley? Can they be intermixed? I am also looking at "Lady in Red Fern", I am aware it could take 3 seasons to acquire the stem color, that's ok. I just need something in that spot! I have been planting impatiens there the past three years, but I really would like to plant something and not have to replant every year! I was even thinking of creeping wintergreen....but I do like these ferns. I need something there! Thanks for any input!

Angie

Comments (7)

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

I think zone 5 would be too hard for those ferns. I had one out the front and it never made the winter.

• jugglerguy
    16 years ago

I live in zone 5a and I have about 30 Japanese painted ferns. I got most of mine from Bluestone Perennials as tiny little things. I've never had one die. They grow slowly. My biggest one is now about 18 inches across, but it took about 5 years to get that big. They won't spread to fill in an area as a ground cover, but you could plant a bunch of them. They're really slow to pop up each spring, so you have to be careful to remember where you put them. I've planted them in both spring and fall.

I also have one 'Lady in Red' fern. I like it a lot, but I like the Japanese painted ferns better. The Lady in Red is more likely to break stems.

• greenlarry
    16 years ago

Hmmm must have been the clay soil that did mine in. Out the back,where my new fern bed is,the soil is better,maybe i should try another in the spring?

• ncdaydreams
    16 years ago

granted the nursery i work at is zone 6, but we have had the best luck with growing painted ferns when they receive that morning sun. sounds like you have the perfect place for them. we started our crop in mottled shade and it didn't grow any substantial amount for months. when we moved the crop to recieve direct sun until about noon, they perked right up and started filling out beautifully in just a few weeks. and personally, i am a fan of the fall planting. usually requires much less watering. it's just crucial that you plant early enough for the plant to establish strong roots in it's new soil before it goes to sleep for the winter.

• hostaholic2 z 4, MN
    16 years ago

I have several Japanese painted ferns here in zone 4. I started with small divisions and it did take several years to get a nice size clump, but it was worth the wait. I don't do anything special in the way of winter protection. I just leave whatever leaves blow into the bed. I also have a heavy clay loam. I worked in plenty of peat moss and compost before planting and top dress with compost every year.

• wendylee226
    15 years ago

I would like to buy two planters that are 18 by 18 by 18 inches in zone 3 or 4 (Ottawa, ontario) to put on my patio. It is 20 feet wide and has two 7 foot pergola fences on either side so it has alot of shade. I was hoping to put cedar around the containers 3/4's of the way up with a ledge around for looks. Could these ferns survive the winter in this planter above ground? Does anyone know? They would be too heavy to lift. I have two astilbes in a small planter and they survive the winter. Also, would they spread out of the container onto the patio and be a nuisance in this regard. If the painted ferns would die from being above ground, is the any slow growing fern that might live and stay contained? Does anyone know? Wendy

• greenlarry
    15 years ago

I had one out front and it didn't survive a zone 9 winter! But then the soil is very heavy out there and there's no or little shade out the back for one.

Sponsored