Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Orange and Green Slimy Mushroom/Fungus?

Posted by holly08 5 (My Page) on
Tue, Sep 5, 06 at 23:43

I found a really weird thing in my shady hosta bed. It had two "spikes" each about 1/2" in diameter by 6" long, orange on the bottom part and dark green on the upper inch or so, shaped kinda like a long green bean. The green part was slimy. I went to take a picture the next day and they were deflated and gooey. What was this thing?

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Orange and Green Slimy Mushroom/Fungus?

Your description sounds like one of the stinkhorn fungi, Mutinus caninus. If not, try again with a different description and we'll see if we can't ID it for you.

Here is a link that might be useful: Dog thingie fungus

o

You are describing what I cooked for dinner the other night. I thought my husband had wolfed it down, now I know where he threw it!
And Rhizo, just exactly what is a dog thingie? Is this a technical term I never heard in my mushroom club? I call any object a 'thingie' when I forget its name, which happens more often these days.
Seriously, you had me busting a gut on this one....

Barbara

o

It could be mutinus elegans (Devil's Dipstick).The green slime is the spore mass which smells like rotting flesh . This is what attracts flies to it for spore dispersial.They are very common in wood chip mulch.The egg stage before they pop out of the ground is edible and pretty good.You want to be 100% sure you correctly ID it before eating it.This is the case for any wild mushroom.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here