Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
What can save my Boston Ferns during the winter )

Posted by magigal Rochester N.Y. (My Page) on
Tue, Oct 6, 09 at 0:31

Good Morning,
I have two lush, beautiful Boston Ferns, that I bought in 10 inch containers last Spring. I re-planted them, using commercially-sold Top Soil and put them in big 16 inch containers in front of my front door. I have never had this kind of luck with all of the Boston Ferns I have had in my lifetime. I am not able to lift them, ( I am critically disabled from being hit by an 18-wheeler), but could roll them into my garage. I also could hire someone to lift them into my house.
I could also leave them outside with a heavy mulch of Pine Nuggets and protected from the harsh winter winds and snow drifts, and facing East.
What are my options that will give the best chance for survival of these wonderful ferns?
Patricia

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: What can save my Boston Ferns during the winter )

I would recommend moving them inside your home and next to a bright window. You could have them lifted onto plant dollies-these can be purchased at any garden center or you could have them made to your specs. See link.

Here is a link that might be useful: how to build a plant dolly

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here