Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
lili_es

Ferns for sunny areas

lili_es
17 years ago

It wasn't until recently whenI stumbled over two ferns, viz, Cinnamon Fern (Osmunda) & the Medusa Fern (Nephrolepis obliterata 'Medusa')both state for ""full or part sun" on their "tickets" ! Now, I am in zone 8/9.Full sun is really Full Sun++, so I take this with a bit of caution.....I can't tell you how delighted I am at the prospect of being able to grow one of the loves of my life here, in Southern. CA UNLESS you tell me otherwise....viz. that, once again, the labels have lied, lied, LIED!!!! :-)......and, if not, what other ferns would fall into this area of full to part sun?

BTW, I live in SanJuanCapistrano, CA.

The in-put that you have given many other Gardeners has, in so many ways helped me too ! Thanx a million !

Comments (3)

• streamy22
    17 years ago

Here in Delaware the Cinnamon Fern is a native plant that grows on tussocks under the protection of dense canopies. These tussocks are normally surrounded with either two to three inches of water all year round; they prefer their rhimozones out of muck/water with the roots growing down into the muck/water. We have had good luck getting spores to take on wet wooden slabs and then transplanting them in different sites around our property. They will thrive nicely in full sun as long as they are kept moist all the time. Though, in shade they tend to grow larger and produce larger "flowering spikes". I have also had boston ferns before in hanging baskets and the hot summer sun usually ends up giving them tip burn. They too prefer a slightly shaded location. I personally wouldn't grow them in full sun unless you have a high humidity/bog like setup. How is the humidity in your area?

• lili_es
    Original Author
    17 years ago

:-)......Here in California (So.), it is rather dry. I am not that far from the ocean (using the mearuements of a flying crow, probably 2 miles.).....In my yard alone I have at least 5 mini-climates. I have been growing several ferns in shady areas of the property.....sort of creeping upon the sunnier areas ! From your description of where the Cinnamon fern is growing, I am assuming that this is it's natural habitat......are they not protected? (These days almost everything in the wild is !) I would also suspect that the plants I am looking at (BTW, I do have a Cinnamon fern growing in a shady area.....which is why I questioned if it could be grown in sunny conditions as the tag on it said !) However, I rather guess that the plants I am speaking are cultivars of the one you have in your area ! I kind of like to do "different" things or do them on the "cutting edge"....I'm glad you reminded me of this facet ! I think I shall go into this with my Nurseryman/woman! (I can always adjust my sprinkling system !) The idea of them not growing to the "huge" size, is rather appealing to me !
    I have never cultivated ferns, but have always been interested in its propogation ~

• streamy22
    17 years ago

I am not aware of any cultivars of the cinnamon fern, I know the boston fern has many. The cinnamon fern isn't protected here in Delaware, but it shares these bogs with one of the rarest plants in United States these days, the swamp pink. We do not transplant ferns or any other plant out of these wonderful places. We have a great cover all along our part of these cedar bogs including stands of black willows, cardinal flowers, joe-pye weeds, and other natives, these plant help maintain the health of the bogs. These cedar bogs are beautiful places that we all need to protect. Unfortunately here in Delaware developers are trying to ruin our native lands. A lot of the cranberry bogs that once grew wild adjacent to the beaches have been filled in and developed. I am glad the house boom has come to a slight halt. Does anyone else feel sick about the loss of some of the most beautiful places in the world?

Sponsored