Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Questions about growing moss on concrete

Posted by Fuuma Georgia (My Page) on
Sun, Oct 16, 11 at 9:02

So I am working on growing a moss garden in shady places of my lawn where grass doesn't want to grow. I'm a complete novice, though I'm enthusiastic. I've got patches here and there that I'm cultivating moderately successfully so far. I'd like to add some height differences to the area and so was thinking of incorporating some stones, preferably ones I can grow moss on as well, as inexpensive as possible.

I was thinking it might be fun and interesting to mix some concrete and make some abstract shape molds just by digging holes and filling them in with concrete, waiting for it to cure and then digging the concrete back up. Then flipping it flat side down and adding it to my moss garden, to grow moss on them.

I am wondering if anyone has done anything like this and if so, any tips or help would be appreciated. I also have this irritating feeling that in my reading up on mosses, I read somewhere about moss not growing well on some concrete, or something about curing it differently/longer before trying to grow moss on it, because the acidity/alkalinity of the concrete mattered. But I can't remember or find much about any of those things now that I want to, so I'm not sure what to do and don't want to waste my time and money on a shot in the dark. Any help or information would be greatly appreciated!

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Questions about growing moss on concrete

Moss grows fine on concrete (I have some growing on mine), you can even grow it on a brick if you want. You might not get the same height/thickness as if it's on soil though. You might have best results by making up the paste with the moss and milk/beer/yogurt/etc.

o

There are calciphilic mosses that like growing on limestone and those species should take to concrete as well. Select ones that you find growing on concrete as starter cultures. To get them going quickly you could try to make a misting system. I know someone who used an intermittent mist system for her research on mosses and the parts were pretty inexpensive. There is a section on mist propagation in the rose forum faq that includes discussion on how to put one together.

o

Older concrete often has moss. Moss prefers acidic, shady, damp, & moist, so if you can provide that it will grow. Here in western WA we can't get rid of enough moss as it grows everywhere the sun doesn't dry out.

o

I have a brick patio covered with moss, and a patio made from concrete made to look like brick, and it has no moss at all. The concrete may get moss someday, but 10 years has not produced any yet. I would try the hypertufa recipe instead of straight concrete, as it is more porous and has peat moss which decreases alkalinity.

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Please review our Rules of Play before posting.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here