Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum | Post a Follow-Up

o
Royal Fern Osmunda regalis spectabilis

Posted by xpress5 z 5 Albany, NY (My Page) on
Thu, Oct 2, 08 at 9:58

I have some royal ferns (Osmunda regalis spectabilis), that are older plants, and they have developed a rootstalk that is about a foot long with fibrous roots. Can I break the rootstalk and start new plants from the root pieces. Anyone have any thoughts and experience. Thank you for sharing.

Here is a link for royal fern and a picture
http://www.illinoiswildflowers.info/grasses/plants/royal_fern.htm

Follow-Up Postings:

o
RE: Royal Fern Osmunda regalis spectabilis

If I understand what you mean by rootstalk I would think that it would not work. This sounds like tree fern trunks??
These you can cut off the top portion of the trunk with the leaves at the growing tip and plant the trunk portion into a soil mix and the fern will survive with proper care-done this with Cyathea. Probably the same for Osmunda.
A special note: if you have a good growth of the fibrous roots you may wish to share, sell, or give large slabs of the roots to orchid growers as this is perhaps the best orchid growing media ever-I know I do this using regular Cinnamon Fern roots.

o

Sorry for the terminology mix-up. I meant can I break the fibrous root into sections, and then replant the sections. I have replanted the growing tip.

Thanks, terrestrial man

o

No it won't work as I have already done this with Osmunda but I did not plant the cut up roots as I used them for potting orchids. No new ferns in the pots of the orchids!!

o Post a Follow-Up

Please Note: Only registered members are able to post messages to this forum.

If you are a member, please log in.

If you aren't yet a member, join now!

Return to the Moss, Ferns & Cryptogams Forum

Information about Posting

• You must be logged in to post a message. Once you are logged in, a posting window will appear at the bottom of the messages. If you are not a member, please register for an account.
  • Posting is a two-step process. Once you have composed your message, you will be taken to the preview page. You will then have a chance to review your post, make changes and upload photos.
  • After posting your message, you may need to refresh the forum page in order to see it.
  • Before posting copyrighted material, please read about Copyright and Fair Use.
  • We have a strict no-advertising policy!
  • If you would like to practice posting or uploading photos, please visit our Test forum.
  • If you need assistance, please Contact Us and we will be happy to help.

Learn more about in-text links on this page here