Shop Products
Houzz Logo Print
blooms4me

fern suggestions

blooms4me
14 years ago

I have worked all summer on a fern bed for my dad. He suddenly became disabled with his Parkinson's to the point his legs would not move. He started it and I was going to finish it. Okay, I do not know much about ferns. I want some really large growing ones in the back. What does anyone suggest? I am in north Alabama and in a rural area with no plant stores. Does anyone know where to buy them online? Also, he kept mentioning something called an ostrich fern... monster fern.. does anyone know about these? I have asked about a monster fern and no one seems to know what I am talking about at a nursery in Birmingham. Suggestions would be greatly appreciated.

Comments (5)

• Iris GW
    14 years ago

Ostrich can be a big fern - especially in moist conditions. Ostrich isn't native to the south, so not sure if you can find it around there. And the heat of the south keeps it from doing as well as it does up north.

Have you posted on the Alabama forum? There might be some folks nearby that can help - even give you some divisions.

There are a lot of suitable native ferns - Christmas fern, Lady fern, New York fern, Southern wood fern (Thelypteris kunthii), Sensitive fern, Cinnamon fern, Netted Chain fern.

Good luck.

Here is a link that might be useful: Alabama forum

• freedee
    14 years ago

Tell us about your conditions. Like so many other plants, if you have the conditions that they like, it's so easy. If you don't, it's hardly worth trying to grow them. Tell us about your soil, how much sun you get, and whatÂs growing there now. What wants to be there?

Do you have native fern growing in the area already? Sometimes the best thing to do is just interfere with the completion between the plants that are already there, to give the existing fern a better chance. Some times, in heavily wooded areas, an over abundance of matted leaves will suppress fern growth.

IÂve grown ostrich and cinnamon ferns. They are thirsty plants. The books say that they can get 6 feet tall. ThatÂs never happened to mine. They get big, but not 6 feet. I have some very young plants of both, ostrich and cinnamon; I can send your dad. The reason you donÂt see them in the garden centers now is that they are clearing out their inventory now. ItÂs a very good time to plant, but for the garden centers, itÂs too risky. What ever they donÂt sell now, they have to carry over the winter. Contact me soon if you want me to send you some plants because I wouldnÂt send them when it gets too cold.

• greenman28 NorCal 7b/8a
    14 years ago

Is there any way that you might grow the Giant Chainfern? (Woowardia fimbriata)
    It's a huge fern. I've measured them in the wild at seven feet tall, or taller.
    My sister has a clump at her house that has now exceeded six feet in heighth.

Josh

• Peggy Bishop_McVay
    14 years ago

blooms4me - there are several of us that meet in the alabama gardening forum. I am sure if you put the word out you will get some replies. Just look on the trade lists and send an e-mail or post. Everyone is very nice. Good luck with your fern search. If I get any to grow I will be happy to share.

• topie
    14 years ago

The fronds on the Royal fern (Osmunda regalis) can grow up to five feet, and this fern is native to Alabama, so it may be a good choice for the back area of your fern garden. It needs a moist soil.

I second the suggestion of Netted Chain fern (Woodwardia areolata) too, although it is smaller than the Royal fern.

Ostrich fern (Matteuccia struthiopteris) grows very large, but yes, as esh mentioned in the post above, it's really native to the more northern U.S. and Canada (grows in the wild usually only as far south as Virginia), so it may not do well in the Alabama heat.

I would get in touch with the Birmingham Botanical Gardens (see link below) and ask them if they could recommend a good place to purchase some ferns near you. The Birmingham Botanical Gardens also sells plants, and just had a fall plant sale on October 17th, but I think they sell plants year-round, or could tell you where to get them.

Hope this helps and best wishes for a nice fern garden to enjoy with your dad...

Here is a link that might be useful: Birmingham Botanical Gardens

Sponsored